Monday, September 26, 2022

Recycled Books


 

Saturday I was in Denton, Texas for my son's marching band competition. There was a five hour gap of time at one point so I drove over to Barnes and Noble to wile away the hours. It had been years since I had darkened the doors of a B&N and I had forgotten how overpriced and corporate the place was. It was very clean and well organized. Clean bathrooms and very nice employees. But man, everything so expensive. So I decided to bail and googled for a used book store. 

 

I found one in downtown Denton just a few minutes away. Recycled Books and Records was the place and it is located in the old Denton Opera House built over a hundred years ago. Downtown Denton has a totally different vibe than the mall. Felt like Austin and the book store did not disappoint. 

 

It was huge and sprawling and chaotic. Upstairs, downstairs, hidden cubbies and nooks. Twisty turns that lead to other rooms and corners. Green shag carpeting in some areas. Everything reasonable save for the some of the classic vinyl. I only walked out with two books for $10. The record section even had a Weezer and White Stripes section. I enjoyed this shop and may have to revisit during the next marching competition.