Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Complicity

A confession and a personal mini-manifesto...

Silence is complicity.

Racism is a cancer. Acknowledging the systemic racism in our society is not enough. I must also confront those racist thoughts that poison my individual soul. Every day I must acknowledge the prejudices that seep or even sometimes flood my consciousness. I cannot pretend it doesn't exist. I must confront it head on, figure out how it got in there in the first place, then excise it brutally from my mind, my heart and my soul.

Denying its existence in my soul simply allows the cancer to spread. I must beg forgiveness and ask my friends who are not of my ethnicity how I can do better. I must listen, acknowledge, and act. I must not worry about offending those who will be angry when I point out that white protestors armed with assault rifles can storm a statehouse while African-Americans are shot while jogging, murdered by policemen with a knee on their neck, and threatened with police violence for asking a white woman to follow Central Park rules. And that's just the past few days!

This is not a partisan issue, this is a human issue.

Just a few more things...

Wear a mask!

Vaccines work.

And there's nothing wrong with mail-in voting.