Thursday, March 07, 2019

Confession

When we joined the Methodist Church a few years ago we were greatly moved by the historical liturgy of the denomination. We really appreciated the Church's observances of the traditional church seasons which are not often emphasized in Evangelical denominations. I know liturgy can become mere rituals to those who grow up with them. But for me, I find them moving. They help me focus my meditations and keep me on the path. I really find this community confession powerful...

Merciful God,
we confess that we have not loved you with our whole heart.
We have failed to be an obedient church.
We have not done your will,
   we have broken your law,
   we have rebelled against your love,
   we have not loved our neighbors,
   and we have not heard the cry of the needy.
Forgive us, we pray.
Free us for joyful obedience,
      through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.