Tuesday, September 15, 2015

God Only Knows

My Dad was a superfan of The Beach Boys. He saw them live countless times including on their recent Fiftieth Anniversary Tour. On our living room bookshelf he had a piece of a tambourine that had shattered as Mike Love played it during a concert forty years ago. The tambourine broke in three pieces and flew out into the audience. My Dad grabbed the biggest piece as it flew his way. He had an autographed album cover by Brian Wilson hanging on the wall. He had several biographies on the group on the bookshelf. And he had every LP and then CD they ever produced...including rarities and international exports.

So I knew we had to play a Beach Boys song at his funeral service. I settled on God Only Knows, one of the most beautiful of Beach Boy songs, to play at the opening of the service. It was poignant and perfect. I'm sure that from here on out, every time I hear a Beach Boys song I'll think of him...and that's okay with me.

Here's God Only Knows, from the majestic Pet Sounds album...