Wednesday, June 27, 2012

sellouts



Well they finally sold their souls to the almighty dollar. As of today, FC Dallas for the first time in club history, has a jersey sponsor.

Advocare.

I don't even know what Advocare is.

American soccer fans can be idiots. Many have craved jersey sponsorships for years because it makes MLS seem more European. But jersey sponsorships are one European phenomenon we shouldn't have tried to emulate here in the U.S..

Now, when you wear your team's jersey you simply become a walking billboard wearing a coporate logo.

Guess I won't be buying another FCD jersey for awhile, if ever. This is the type of thing that has jaded me on sports in recent years. It's all about brands, marketing and logos. If I was a stronger person I'd give up all sports immediately. It's all so corrupt. And it's a complete waste of time. I know this. But I continue to watch anyway. What a loser.

photos: Top - The new home FCD jersey with the Advocare logo. Lower - Me wearing last year's logoless away FCD jersey at the former Pizza Hut Park (which ironically dropped their sponsorship last January) now called FC Dallas Stadium.