Saturday, July 31, 2010

Book Cheating


Often I'm in the middle of a book but then I either get another one or two as a gift or I buy them. And I'm really anxious to start them. But I only read one at a time...a hard fast fule of mine. So I put the new books aside and begin obsessively reading the old book simply in order to finish it so I can ge to the new ones despite the fact that the book may be decent or even great. The new ones were bought in an inspired moment and are shrouded in mystery...which usually disappoints. I feel like I'm using the old book...that I'm only spending time with it...not for its own sake but so I can move on to the chimera of bigger and better things. That's how I am with Sedaris right now with Mitchell and Eggers on the nightstand. Sorry man. Nothing personal.