Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chris Isaak at the House of Blues

I know I know. Quite a gap between posts. It's been a busy summer. A very good summer. Don't get on the computer much at home.

Sunday night Kimberly and I went the House of Blues here in Dallas to catch Chris Isaak. I've been a big fan of Isaak since high school and Wicked Game stormed the country. I've got all 10 of his CD's (including his XMAS album). But I've never seen him live. He came to Big D a couple of years ago. But he was playing a double bill with Stevie Nicks and I thought the Starplex wasn't the right venue for his act.

So I waited and it was worth it. The House of Blues is the perfect venue. Small little place with great sound. Easy access, good parking, clean bathrooms and good sightlines. We were among the first to arrive...we had standing room tix...but I picked a pillar to lean against...we were about 20 feet from the mike.

Isaak and Silvertone (his band for the past 20 years) rocked the house. Great entertainers and amazing vibe in the room. Everybody was having a great time. I've been fortunate to catch a lot of great concerts (Willie Nelson, Weezer, Lyle Lovett, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Los Lonely Boys, Wynton Marsalis, Dave Brubeck just to name a few) but Isaak's show was among the tops. And the House of Blues is one of the best venues in Dallas. Will have to check out the restaurant another time.