Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Death to the Pixies

So I was in this ski shop halfway between Durango and Purgatory Mountain. This was back when "Bubba's Boards" was a bona fide indie shop ran by stoners and shredders before it went corporate and relocated into swanky digs in the Purgatory Village. I saw this rock band sticker on the wall behind the counter that said "Death to the Pixies."

I had been recently introduced to The Pixies and liked their stuff. So I asked the boarder behind the counter who looked like Jeff Buckley what he had against The Pixies.

He said, "Dude! We love the Pix. This is a promo for their album."

So I had showed my ignorance of Pixie discography but those Bubba guys didn't judge my alt cred. They were too busy prank calling "Gold Medal Sports" a rival shop owned by a crusty old bugger with a big white beard named Tom who had jerked us around regarding boot rental prices a day earlier.

A few years later I saw that stoner employee at a local dive called Schoolhouse Pizza north of Durango. I asked him "you use to work at Bubba's?" He said, "Yeah awhile back."

His glazed over barmate laughed out loudly and shouted "This punk got FIRED! They fired his &@*!"

I said, "Oh yeah, What for?"

"Smoking weed behind the building during business hours."

Buckley just smiled sheepishly. I wasn't surprised by the firing or the cause.

Later that night I saw a rich woman back into a Mercedes SUV in the Schoolhouse Pizza parking lot which was iced over. She busted out the SUV's tailight. She was wearing all white with white fur and had super bleached white hair. She was in her 60's and was trying very hard to keep her youth but not very successfully. She just drove off without reporting her crash. The nerve.

Today I printed off a "Death to the Pixies" decal to tape on the wall outside my classroom to commemorate this memory.