Tuesday, February 10, 2026

Religions

So a few months back the state of Texas passed a law stating that if someone donated posters of the Ten Commandments to a school district, then teachers were required to post them in their classrooms. 

Of course several school districts filed suit stating the obvious violation of separation of church and state. So a judge placed an injunction on districts that filed suit allowing them to pause putting these posters up until the matter was resolved in the courts. My school district was not one of these. 

Our local state representative, a man who has proven to be no friend of public education, donated Ten Commandment posters to our school district. Then, our district stated they were going to put the posters up without our input and after hours. 

This is wrong on so many levels. It's simply performative, a play to the ignorant MAGA base. Anyone who thinks a poster is actually going to change the behavior of students is ignorant at best. Shoving religion down someone's throat violates all what public education stands for. If you want a Christian education, go to a private school. If you can't afford it, use the private school vouchers this same rep voted for to pay for it. 

I have students of many religions, creeds and backgrounds. It is insulting to force one's views on them. Not only is it unethical it also doesn't even work! 

And to have this forced by a state Attorney General who violates many of the ten commandments on a regular basis is even more infuriating.

So, I was ready. I made posters that showed the basic tenets of the five major world religions. I also printed out the First Amendment of the Constitution. Then I surrounded the new poster, once maintenance put it up, with my religion posters. 

I have no problem with the Ten Commandments. I am a Christian. But this is public education for all. And if we're going to put up the tenets of one religion, I'm going to put up the tenet of all the major world religions.

The whole thing is so dumb.