Tuesday, February 24, 2026

Gold Coast


Finished the second of Kim Stanley Robinson's Three Californias Trilogy (my edition contains all three in one book): Gold Coast. The trilogy pictures three different alternate timelines of Orange County in the near future. The first story was post-nuclear. The second, Gold Coast shows the OC after decades of unfettered and out of control capitalism. Another book by KSR that I had to just sit still with after finishing to contemplate what I just read. I'll be contemplating Gold Coast for a while I'm sure. A great work. I liked Wild Shore (the first book) a bit more simply because I found the story more poignant. But Gold Coast was super good. Tragic but with a glimmer of hope near the end. I'm going to wait and read the final installment a bit down the road. I want to ponder things first. I'll start in on something else tomorrow.