Wednesday, September 17, 2025

Streaming Killed the Video Store

This is a true statement. 

Yes, the convenience of streaming services is very handy. But I often spend an hour scrolling for a movie or show to watch on all the various services to which I subscribe only to give up and watch a DVD or BluRay I already own.  

And way too often I can't find the movie I want to watch on any of the six streaming options I have. Invariably the movie I want is on one of the few services I don't subscribe to. 

So, much to the chagrin of my wife who likes to clear out clutter, I have begun buying or putting on my gift list my favorite movies in physical form. I had pretty much stopped buying DVDs or BluRays several years ago. Everything seemed to be on the one or two streaming services that dominated back then. But now? Everything is fragmented into dozens of services. Complex contracts cause movies to appear and disappear from your streaming service of choice with frightening regularity. 

So, forget that. I'm buying my favorites. The only danger is a complete format change (ala VHS to DVD) that makes my current collection obsolete. Let's hope that doesn't happen for awhile.

I do miss the anticipation of going to the video store, browsing a well stocked aisle, checking out and going home with a movie. I don't miss late fees or having to go out of your way to return a movie. But man, I miss the Friday night visit to the video store.