Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Signs of Rain

A few years ago, Kim Stanley Robinson combined his Science in the Capital trilogy into a single massive volume he called Green Earth. He trimmed material that took away from the plot and adjusted the science to match up with the newest findings. I put off reading this trilogy because I was afraid it might be dry (no pun intended) boring cli-fi. My plan was to read each book (now labeled as parts) one at a time then take a break and read something else, then come back and continue with the second part and so on and so forth.

But I have enjoyed Forty Signs of Rain immensely. So much so that even though I finished part one, I am going to immediately continue on to Fifty Degrees Below (or part two). I shouldn't have had any doubts about the mastery of Robinson. His works never cease to amaze me. Gripping plots, interesting characters, deep philosophy and modern science...Stan never disappoints. This is great stuff. Thought provoking yet a real page turner.

After last week's 100 year floods in Texas reading this was even more meaningful. It was scary to compare this plot to the real life happening right in front of us. Sobering.