Tuesday, December 16, 2025

The Problems of Philosophy

Finished another one of my Long-Term Reads this morning during breakfast. The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell. Two or three pages every day which was good because I found it pedantic. This is due to a couple of factors. One, I'm just probably not intellectually up to snuff for Russell's insight. And secondly, I often find philosophy too abstract to be meaningful in my daily life. In my younger days I had a greater appreciation for the study of philosophy. But as the days have been added to my life, my patience for esoteric quibbling has lessened considerably. Arguments that seemed so important in the dorm rooms or campus quads now seem trivial or a waste of energy. Now, Russell does address these issues, particularly in the last chapter but it was not enough to convince me. Some philosophy I do find interesting. Camus, Sartre, Robert Solomon etc. But so much of the discipline relies on highly specialized vocabulary and intricate thought paths that I tire of quickly. Guess I'm just getting old and cranky!