Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Lost and Found


I made an astoundingly happy discovery today. I was driving home earlier today streaming the magisterial Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys. I was lamenting the fact that I didn't own this record on vinyl. When I got home I decided to play one of The Beach Boys lesser known albums "Carl and the Passions: So Tough" that I inherited from my Dad. I hadn't played it since I was given the album nine years ago. When I pulled the record out I noticed it was a double album. This surprised me because I didn't think this was a double record. Turns out the second album was a copy of Pet Sounds! Turns out in 1972, Capitol Records packaged the new Carl and the Passions album with a Pet Sounds record. Not only that, it's a rare mono release of Pet Sounds. In 1966, Capitol had released it in stereo against the wishes of Brian Wilson. This release captured the sound as originally recorded and conceived. It's now considered a collector's item. My Dad sure knew how to pick em. This was a happy day.