Thursday, August 22, 2024

The Old Days are Long Ago

Around 11:30 pm on May 18th, 1991 the Kansas Highway Patrol stopped me and my two best friends, Paul and John (who were brothers) as we were driving between Kansas City and Severy, Kansas on our way to my high school graduation which was the next day. Six patrol cars and a helicopter were involved. In the middle of the night. They thought we were carrying a dead body in the trunk of our car on I-35. A prank of ours gone wrong (no one actually died but when someone saw Paul's arm hanging out from the car's trunk they called the cops). We were cleared to go after a search and we made it to my high school graduation. It's a long story for another day.

John was always the driver. I was the idea man. Paul put the ideas into action. They were my best friends since I was five. I lived with them for three summers when my parents moved away from KC so the three of us could work at Worlds of Fun Amusement Park.

Well, John passed away last night. Cancer. Leaves behind a wife and two sons. Honestly, feels like a part of me has died as well. Rest in Peace, John. We had good times.