Thursday, August 08, 2024

New Turntable

My Dad's old turntable stopped working. Seems like a power issue and I may try to get it looked at it sometime but repair on a 1983 turntable could be expensive. So I ordered a new one. Audio-Technica last month released the AT-LP70X and it looks sharp. More importantly it sounds great. Easy set up. I went without the bluetooth that so many new turntables offer this year. I thought, what's the point? If I want to listen to digital music I'll use Apple Music. For the true analog experience I went with my 1980 Pioneer that I got off ebay several years ago.


In honor of my Dad who got me into records I played one of his old albums I inherited. The Beach Boys Today! When he was fourteen years old he was grounded for buying this album without permission from his parents. Even as an adolescent my Dad took great care of his records.

I then played Weezer's Blue Album. My favorite album from college years.

And third (of course) was Lazaretto by Jack White. I bought this last week when the record store was out of White's new release. But I've wanted this one because the vinyl is unique. It plays from the label outward. An angel hologram appears when you play it. There are secret tracks under the label and one groove will play the acoustic version of a song and another the electric version.