Sunday, March 26, 2023

Live From Here Redux

 


It is super hard to believe that it has been three years since the pandemic forced the cancellation of Live From Here with Chris Thile. Three years! Life has raced by since the end of The Quarantine. 

Episodes have been archived on the show’s website for awhile now but there were a few months when they were inaccessible for some reason. It seemed as if this great show would be lost forever. 

But recently the archive became functional again. Once a week, my daughter and I have to drive into north Dallas. It’s usually an hour both ways to our destination due to traffic. This fit perfectly with the two hour runtime of the show. 

So, the last few drives I have listened to the show, beginning with Thile’s first episode as permanent host. I also found it shocking that it’s been nearly seven years since Thile’s version of the show premiered. Seven years! It just doesn’t seem possible. 

I have missed this show immensely. Especially in the fall. Even though the show ran through the spring it always seemed like a fall show. It was a rite of autumn, now gone. I will always cherish the memory of Thile actually playing me and my son’s Twitter request live on air. Weezer’s Buddy Holly in bluegrass. Also, seeing the show live in Austin was amazing. 

I’ve enjoyed listening to the first few episodes again. I plan on making this a ritual on our weekly drive to north Dallas. Helps with the stress of LBJ freeway traffic and construction. What a great show. 

It has also been interesting to trace the show’s evolution from when it started as Prairie Home Companion to Live from Here as Thile increasingly put his personal stamp on the show.