Tuesday, February 13, 2018

olympic meh


It's about that time when I comment on the Olympics. But this year I'm just kind of meh bout the whole thing. Some of my favorite Winter Olympians retired either after the last go around (Bode Miller) or just recently (Julia Mancuso). The downhill course is an atrocity, shortened to accommodate the high winds that have plagued the alpine events. It's pretty much a Super G course right now which kind of taints the whole thing. At least Ted Ligety is still skiing.

I also used to get Universal Sports for free over the antenna. This allowed me to watch World Cup Ski seasons throughout the year and keep up with the skiiers during non-Olympic years. But Universal yanked their channel off free TV a few years ago and so I don't get to watch alpine skiing any more. I don't know many of the alpine skiiers as a result and I'm not that invested.

NBC tries to amp up Shaun White and all the other snowboarders, but those sports still don't feel Olympian to me. Maybe I've become an old grump. I'm also tired of politics (both social and governmental) being played out in the sports arena. I'm tired of no real foil for the USA now that the USSR is gone. Tired that Olympic hockey means nothing now. They don't show much luge or bobsled. Too much figure skating which apparently brings in the viewers.

Maybe I'm just too tired. Go America.