Thursday, October 26, 2017

Made it on Prairie Home Companion...sort of




One of my favorite fall routines is watching the live stream of Prairie Home Companion on Saturday evenings. PHC was always just available on the radio but now I can actually watch the broadcast on our TV with the YouTube app via their live stream of the show.

The show has changed quite a bit the past year. Last season was the first in forty years without Garrison Keillor as host. One of my favorite musicians, Chris Thile, took over the hosting duties last year and has done a fantastic job.

Thile introduced a new segment on the show called Instant Song Request. Before the intermission Thile sends out a tweet asking for song requests that they will play about five minutes later after the intermission. They try to select songs no one on the stage has performed before.

So every week, my son and I send in our request. We've always requested Buddy Holly by Weezer. We have never thought we'd get picked.

But last week we got picked! Chris Thile, one of my musical heroes, mentioned my name on the show! They performed the song! Jackson and I were so happy!

I happened to video the moment. For some reason I thought maybe this might be the week. But I truly didn't believe. You can hear my excitement in the video. Check it out above ^ ^ ^

Pretty cool moment.

I'll post their actual version of the Buddy Holly in the next few days. So Great.