Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Monk Madness



We're in the midst of a free trial of XM Sirius Satellite Radio. Had the dial tuned to the Real Jazz station this morning on the way to work. Bemsha Swing by Thelonious Monk came on, one of my favorite tunes. Had fun teaching my son a little about Monk this morning. I told him listening to Monk may possibly raise your IQ because he was a mad genius who played in a madly angular way. Listening to him can only make you smarter. Or maybe a little crazy. I have this tune in my jazz fake book. I can't wait until my son has learned the chords (he's only ten right now and progressing fast) and he and I can play this together.

Track Personnel: Thelonious Monk, Piano. Sonny Rollins, Tenor Saxophone. Clark Terry, Trumpet. Paul Chambers, Bass. Max Roach, Drums. Recorded in New York, December 7, 1956,

Now that is an all-star crew.