Thursday, January 12, 2017

New Room


Well, admittedly, I haven't gotten used to my new classroom. After sixteen years in one room I knew any change to a new room would not be easy. But, I'm reluctant to get too attached since I'm only in this particular room for one calendar year. The plan is to move upstairs next January.

The new rooms are a bit too sterile for me. White walls, white tile floor, white boards. I'm sure it will grow on me, but I sure do miss my carpet. Once I get into my permanent room I'll have to invest in an area rug.

To make matters worse they weren't done with this building. They were supposed to be. But they are still drilling, hammering and making lots of noise as they continue to work on this wing. We shouldn't have moved this early. We should have waited until summer. Would have been better for teachers and students. I was breathing in dust the first few days. Now, instead of being next to a construction zone, we are actually in the construction zone.

We knew construction would continue next to us as they demolished my old wing and built a anew. But to not even be done with the building we now inhabit...unacceptable. This isn't hindsight. Teachers were expressing these concerns months ago. But we kept hearing the same promise...

"It will be finished." "Oh yeah, it will be done on time."

Nope. Not even a little bit.

They are still not done or even close to being done with this building.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. I don't have to float between rooms like some. My current room has been functional. My technology has worked for the most part. It will get better.

However,

I still miss the old place.