Thursday, January 19, 2017

Good Bye, with Respect.


I voted for Barack Obama twice. I didn't always agree with him. But he held the office with respect and honor. There was not an Oval Office scandal during his time in office. He treated others with grace and dignity. He developed a cordial relationship with the Republican Speaker of the House. He created an imperfect healthcare system that yet allowed my father to have healthcare during his battle with cancer. My mother, now a widow, is not hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt due to his cancer treatments because of Obamacare. And she and my disabled sister have affordable healthcare. That would be enough for me to be thankful for President Obama.

I feel that all that is about to change tomorrow. Dignity, respect and basic competence may be hard to find in the next four years. Conflicts of interest, scandal and rudeness, I fear, will be the new norm in the White House...although the new president apparently will live much of the time in a self-named tower in New York.

So I offer the Obama Family a heartfelt thanks and goodbye. You will be missed. Thank you for your service.