Thursday, November 03, 2016

Well, Wow...


That was epic. Ten innings. A rain delay. Game tying home runs. Worn out pitchers. Close outs. Weird two strike bunt attempts. Game winning hits. Man, I'm tired this morning. That was a late game. Well worth staying up for. After I did finally get to sleep the power went off around 3 am due to a passing storm which woke me up. So I'm pretty groggy today. But that was a sight: The Chicago Cubs won the World Series.

My Dad must be up to something up there in Heaven. One month after he passes away the team he adopted as an adult, the Royals, win the title. A year later, the team he rooted for as a kid and teenager win their first title since the days of the Ottoman Empire. I wish he could have seen all this. 

Glad the Cubs won but I do feel for Cleveland fans. I believe they're cursed by the Chief Wahoo logo. They drop Chief Wahoo and they win a series. 

Happy to see Ben Zobrist win the Series MVP. He was an integral part of the Royals World Series run last year. He even named his baby daughter born after the 2015 series, Royal. But he moves on to Chi in Free Agency and helps the Cubs do the impossible. He's also an alum of Olivet Nazarene University. Good guy and good ballplayer. 

Only bad thing is that, like the Red Sox, the Cubs become just another team. No more curses. No more lovable losers. They are now just another big market team that has a lot of money to spend. Soon they'll be another evil empire. I mean I hope not...but that's the way these things often go. Amazing to think that Seattle hasn't even been to a World Series. The Nationals are still a young franchise so not surprising they haven't made it yet. And you've got the Rangers and Astros who haven't won the whole thing yet despite three appearance between the two. 

But man, the Tribe. Tough day. 

I did enjoy the throwback Harry Carey commercial at the end of the Series. Well played. Cubs Win! Cubs Win!