Thursday, November 10, 2016

Resolved

I must admit there have been times in recent years when I have been tempted to move to another high school to teach. Most of these other high schools that caught my eye have been schools with wealthy populations. And overwhelmingly white.

I admit that working in a diverse Title One District, that I have to drive 25 minutes to get to, has sometimes beaten me down. The challenge to teach students from difficult backgrounds can often be daunting, even after eighteen years. I have been discouraged to see some of my colleagues at wealthier districts having comparatively easier times coaching their students to excellent AP Exam or SAT scores. I have been temped to leave many times for greener environs.

And I did leave once. Ten years ago I left my school and taught for a year at the wealthiest public school in Texas. It was a good year. My fellow staff members were fantastic. My students much easier to teach in many regards. Getting high test scores was a breeze. But I was missing something not working with under-privileged kids. And the next year I returned back to the school where I had begun my career and where I teach today.

But even in the last decade since I returned I admit growing weary at the challenge of teaching dis-advantaged students. It's hard.

But yesterday's election results re-awakened me. Yesterday, my Hispanic, Islamic and African-American students had a look of fear and disappointment in their eyes. America had picked a man who had openly and regularly insulted their race or religion. This man had threatened to deport them, their families and friends. This man had suggested implementing a ban on allowing people of their religion to enter the country. This man had joked about sexually assaulting women.

One may have disagreed with Hillary's political positions and voted for that reason alone. But this action also showed support for a man who to many of my students poses an existential threat. Voting against Hillary was a vote for man endorsed by the Ku Klux Klan...a terrorist group. You may have disagreed with Hillary, like I do on many issues, but voting for her probably did not pose a threat to your existence, your race or your religion.

Honestly, as a middle class white male, Trump's election will probably not effect my daily life too much. That's an unfortunate truth in a nation where white males to a great degree still have undeserved privilege compared to other ethnicities. But to many of my friends and students, their way of life may be in danger.

They need support. They need defenders. They need someone on their side. So yesterday, after getting past the initial and overwhelming disappointment, after getting over my anger and disgust with my fellow Americans and fellow "Christians" who voted for Donald Trump, I became resolved that I'm exactly where God wants me to be.

I am going to redouble my efforts to teach tolerance, respect and empathy for other cultures in my World History classes. I'm going to provide a safe sanctuary for my minority students. I am going to let them know that there are people here who will fight for them and defend them and stand with them. I am going to do my best to educate the poor whites in my school who so often fall prey to patterns of racist and bigoted behavior because they are feeling increasingly isolated.

I got into this profession to educate and empower. And I am privileged to be in a position to help those who need it the most. I will love them and fight for them and give them the strength and tools to reach their full potential in this life.

I'm not going anywhere.