Friday, February 26, 2016

Urge You On...


So I had the great privilege last night of meeting one of my literary heroes. Dave Eggers was the keynote speaker at the Highland Park Literary Festival and I got there early enough to actually meet him and get a book signed. He was very gracious with his time and we talked for a few minutes about the challenges of teaching in low income areas.

Not only is Eggers a hugely successful author...two of his books are being adapted to the big screen this year, both starring Tom Hanks no less...he runs an independent publishing agency, has founded several non-profit charity organizations, edits a literary journal, and produced documentaries among many other activities. He also is a huge advocate for teachers. He established a non-profit tutoring center in San Francisco for under-resourced kids. His tutoring centers have branched off to many cities. He has spoken out for public education time and time again. He is one of my inspirations on many levels. His TED Talk gives you an idea of his work on the behalf of educators. But he also knows how to write a good yarn.

So I was humbled to actually shake his hand and talk with him even for just a few minutes. The festival was held at my old stomping grounds, Highland Park High School...where I taught World History long ago. Last night was the first time I had been back on campus in ten years and I took the chance to swing by my old room. It was good to see that things hadn't changed all that much.

What he wrote in my book: "To Dave, I salute your work, sir. I urge you on."