Thursday, January 21, 2016

Super Early Predictions

photo: Trump and Hillary when they were friends

I've been dead wrong on previous election predictions so take these with a massive grain of salt. I did say Mitt would win the last GOP nomination but I figured Rick Perry would give him a serious run for his money. Oops. 

But here's my gut instinct and it's not an original thought...it fits with most of the conventional wisdom:

This is about Hillary. If Trump or Cruz win the GOP nomination then it's a done deal. Once those guys enter the even harsher glare of a national election, they're cooked. There's only so many angry white men who vote. 

Rubio and Jeb might have a chance in a general election but they got an uphill battle just to win the nomination. Jeb is pretty much done. Rubio still has some life and I give him the best chance against Hillary. I have no hard data to back any of this up. Just pure speculation. 

Hillary will easily win the support of women and minorities. She will probably eventually win independents when they look at the alternatives. The problem for Cruz and Trump is there's not enough angry white men to turn the election to their favor. I'm still thinking the GOP will somehow come through and Trump and Cruz will be gently nudged out. My early guess is Rubio will be the GOP's man. I just haven't come to terms with either a Trump or Cruz nomination. And as much as a I despise Trump...I think I'd rather have Trump than Cruz. Cruz is an extremist and even his own party can't stand him.

As for me personally? I'm for Bernie. But he has no chance.