Wednesday, April 02, 2014

HIMYM Finale


The internet has exploded with opinions about the series finale of How I Met Your Mother. Guess I better jump in...just because.

First off, I was stunned to read the other day that the show started in 2005. It didn't seem like it had been on that long. Nine years. It just seemed like yesterday when the show was on the verge of cancellation after its first season. Nine years! That show came on before my son was born. I barely remember life before then.

Secondly, we watched the first couple of seasons then began to be pretty hit or miss after the third season. I would watch it occasionally on reruns but we weren't heavily invested. Weird side note: my wife never called it How I Met Your Mother. She called it "Have You Met Ted?"...a line from the series premiere that popped in every once in awhile during the series run.

So we weren't so emotionally attached to the characters although at times we greatly enjoyed the show. Maybe I don't have the cred that long time viewers have. But throw me into the camp that was ticked off by the finale.

SPOILERS coming.

I can't believe they killed off the mother! What in the world? Was this an attempt to be innovative and cutting edge? Were they trying to be different for different sake? Oh my gosh, that was brutal. They could have dedicated an entire final season to that storyline and it would have been great. We had all gotten used to the idea that Ted and Robin were not right for each other. Then they throw them back together at the end!?!

And how depressing is it that Marshall has to endure a job he hates until the very end. For years he has to sell his soul as a corporate lawyer until he finally achieves fulfillment as a judge? Super buzzkill.

And Barney never evolves? I love Barney as a caricature. But he's got to evolve right? I mean, that was a touching scene when he commits himself to his new baby girl...but we wanted more!

And the kids. They were teenagers when they encouraged Ted to go for "Aunt Robin." Mom's been dead for six years and they're okay with it. But dude! They're teenagers. Teenagers are not that mature. They would be ticked at Dad going for another woman...even six years after mom's death. Teenagers are not often rational. Maybe if they had been in their twenties their response would have been more believable.

Oh, but back to the Mom. Can't believe they killed her off. Realistic maybe. But this is a TV comedy. I don't want realistic. That was cold man. Cold.