Thursday, May 11, 2006

Spiritual Disciplines

Following any religious path requires discipline and regular devotion. My walk with God is the most important pursuit in life. Everything in my life stems from that relationship. Many people are under the mistaken impression that once you become a Christian then your walk should just progress naturally. A great deal of the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, discuss and set forth spiritual disciplines essential for the Christian walk. The particulars should be adapted to the personality of each individual. Here's what works best for me...

Morning: Read daily passage from "My Utmost for His Highest." by Oswald Chambers.

Lunch: Read one chapter from the New Testament (NKJV) - progressing from Matthew through Revelation and then repeating. I'm currenly in I John. Then I pray or meditate using the following ACTS method...

Adoration
Confession
Thanksgiving
Supplication/service

Evening: Read one chapter from the Old Testament (NIV) - progressing from Genesis through Malachi and then repeating. I'm currently in Ezekiel.

Bedtime: Kim and I read a chapter from The Message - progressing from Genesis through Revelation. We are currenly in Exodus. Then we pray together.

I would like to add more prayer time to my day. And I do intersperse prayers throughout the day. However, I would like to commit more time to Christian meditation and doing devotions with my wife. Discipline is essential for staying on the right path. And when I stray off...it is because I have neglected my spiritual habits.