Monday, May 15, 2006

Places to Visit - San Francisco

Thought I'd write every once in awhile about places I've been. That way if you go...you could check some of these places out.

Two years ago Kim and I celebrated our anniversary in San Francisco. I found the town fascinating and magical. There's this palpable feeling of eerie depravity right below the surface.

My favorite experience was hanging off the side of a trolley car as it defied gravity by going straight up a massive hill. It felt as though I was floating in the midst of the everyday life of San Francisco. You're right in the middle of all that humanity...yet not of it as you continue to slowly drift along the center of the road. Don't ride inside the car. Ride on the back platform or hang off the side.

I have to admit I enjoyed the Alcatraz trip. I enjoyed cruising in the bay and I enjoyed seeing the remnants of the Indian occupation of the island. Alcatraz has these strange birds that will attack you if you get too close to their young.

We stayed at the Sheraton down at Fisherman's Wharf. When we opened up our hotel room upon arriving their was this jet-lagged Fillipino family unpacking their bags. One guy was rolling around the bed as if in the midst of an ulcer attack. I said "sorry" and quickly closed the door. Turning around we saw the hotel manager running toward us gasping that he had made a mistake. I asked if there would be an upgrade and he said, "but of course."

Worth seeing: the Japanese Tea Garden, the seals at Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, The Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard Street, Downtown, The San Francisco's Giant's baseball stadium, The cable cars/trolleys, Jack Kerouac Blvd, Coit Tower, Mission Delores and definately Alcatraz.

I really enjoyed seeing many of the landmarks in Hitchcock's Vertigo. Get in shape...those hills are steep. I would also pick a hotel near the Wharf. And bring a jacket if you go in June or July. As Mark Twain said "the coldest winter I ever saw was summer in San Francisco." It's not that bad, but you will want a jacket. But SF was definately worth the visit.