Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Clinton Presidential Library

We drive through Little Rock, Arkansas on our way to visit Kimberly's grandparents in Indiana. This past Spring Break we decided to stop and visit the Clinton Library since we pass right by it a couple of times a year.We're not big Clinton fans but we thought since it was on our way...

Well, we were disappointed. I had been to the Eisenhower and Truman Libraries and Kimberly had been to LBJ and George H.W. Bush's libraries. Clinton's Library paled in comparison. To be fair, it did live up to it's name as being a library. There was lots and lots of information...it is an actual library of records.But I was expecting more. I wanted to see a Presidential musueum. There was very little in the way of displays and artifacts. There was a Presidential limo and a mock-up of the oval office. I guess I was disappointed not to see Monica's dress.

It also seemed that the whole thing was a giant propaganda machine. I've heard that at Nixon's Library there is a whole Watergate area. I've heard that the Reagan Library discusses the Iran-Contra affair. I've also heard the LBJ Library deals fairly with the Vietnam War. But the Clinton Library barely mentions the impeachment (only the second impeachment in American history). And the one or two sentences (hidden in the millions of sentences of Clinton history) dedicated to the subject blame it on political conspiracies.

The building itself was impressive. Seeing the building was the most interesting part of the experience. However, that was not enough to redeem the whole library visit. It wasn't a waste of time...but I wouldn't recommend stopping unless you happen to be a HUGE Clinton fan.