Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Chains of Technology

About six years ago I bought this Palm m 100 PDA to keep myself organized. I used it religiously for several years. But about a year ago I began to feel constrained by this mini computer. It had got to the point where I felt enslaved by its presence. If I accidently left it at home I felt a tinge of panic that I wouldn't remember my agenda for the day or recall what items were on my to-do list. When these feelings began to surface I knew I had to cut the cords to this little black piece of crap that was running my life.

So, for about the past year or so I went PDA free. And my life didn't miss a beat. I still got things done and was able to keep track of my schedule. Ahhh...but my life is about to amp us in busy-ness. It is now time to dust off my trusty Palm m 100...which of course is considered obsolete and pathetically outdated. But it is still windows based and still does all I need. Yes, it's not a Blackberry and it's not Bluetooth capable. To be honest I don't even know what Bluetooth is.
But I'm going to compromise. I will only keep it in my trusty messenger bag. If I don't have my bag with me...oh well. And I will limit the times I refer to it during the day. I refuse to be a slave to a gadget. Technology is a tool...and I refuse to be enslaved to a mindless piece of equipment!